Only first time entering postgraduate students who are not employed or do not have any bursary are eligible to apply for a Post graduate Tuition Bursary from the University.
The postgraduate bursary will only be awarded on completion of the degree within the minimum period of study for the degree:
- Honours-1 year (First time entering honours students qualify if they have obtained 70% and above in the final year of undergraduate study for the subject(s) or course(s) which they intend pursuing).
- Master’s Degrees – 2 years
- Professional Master’s Degrees – 4-5 years((Motivation required for 5 th year of study)
- Doctoral Degrees – 3/4 year (Motivation required for 4 th year of study)
- The Postgraduate Tuition Bursary is capped for the total amount of tuition to be paid in the academic year of registration for the stipulated period of study.
- Eligible students who fail to successfully complete their studies within the stipulated minimum period for the degree will not qualify for the bursary.
- Students who receive funding from their employers or from other sources do not qualify to apply for the bursary.
- Students who are registering for a qualification equivalent to the one already obtained do not qualify for the bursary.
- Students who have previously registered with another institution for the same qualification do not qualify.
- The University reserves the right to withdraw the bursary should the student fail to disclose any material facts pertaining to the conditions for awarding the bursary.
- No retrospective application is allowed.
Conditions of Bursary
This bursary is only applicable for tuition fees.
No refunds on credit resulted due to University Postgraduate Tuition Bursaries.
A renewal bursary is granted only for 2nd year Masters, or 2nd and 3rd year PhD students who have previously received the bursary and still comply with the bursary conditions
Detailed postgraduate progress report signed by the student and supervisors
How to Apply
- An acceptance letter from the School indicating the student number, degree accepted to study and the discipline
- Certified copy of detailed transcript of academic record/s Certified copy of degree certificate (s) Curriculum vitae (Maximum 2 pages)
- Certified copy of identity document Students in 2 nd or 3 rd year of studies must include SMUREC certificate
NO FORM WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS