How To Apply For A New Matric Certificate

How to Apply for a New High School Diploma

If you misplaced or damaged your original matric certificate, you must fill out an application for replacement at the Provincial Education Department (PED) or Department of Basic Education (DBE).

How do I apply for a new matric certificate?

You can request for the statement of results while waiting for the issue of your certificate.

If the certificate is damaged, you must return the damaged certificate to the Department of Basic Education (DBE) or Provincial Education Department (PED).

What should you do to get your matric certificate?

  • Pay the prescribed fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE / PED office or by cheque.
  • Go to the nearest DBE/ PED offices with the following documents:
  • An affidavit stating what happened to your certificate (i.e. if it is lost or damaged)
  • the original national/ senior certificate (if it is damaged), this is not applicable if it is lost
  • The original identity document (ID) and a certified copy.
  • Alternatively you can download form, fill it in and post it with the attached documents including the postal order to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001


Note: You may apply and pay for the re-issue ONLINE (

How long does it take to get your matric certificate?

It takes between four to six weeks for a Replacement certificate to be issued (for records on the system). You can obtain your statement of results immediately.

For records not on the system, it will take longer as records needs to be retrieved from the Archives and loaded on the system.

How much does it cost to replace a matric certificate?

It will cost you R141.00 for the replacement certificate, and if you want a statement of results, it will cost you an additional R52.00.


  • National office: 012 312 5845/6/7
  • Eastern Cape: 043 604 7709/73
  • Free State: 051 404 8000
  • Gauteng: 011 355 0588
  • KwaZulu-Natal: 031 327 0538/0331
  • Limpopo: 015 290 7747/7830
  • Mpumalanga: 013 766 0033
  • Northern Cape: 053 839 6585
  • North West: 018 384 3100/51
  • Western Cape: 021 467 2483

Source: Department of Education

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top